The sitch of drinking and driving in Vizag has been reported to be increasing day by day. This 2018, the city traffic police has recorded the highest number of drink and drive cases ever in Vizag.
According to the records, more than 570 drivers have been charged for the drink and drive and the fine has crossed the mark of Rs 1.4 crore since January this year.
The problem has deteriorated though officers from other police wings like law, and order and crime have been added to the list of special teams to help reduce the violations.
In the last six months, over 18,123 cases have been filed for drunk driving in Vizag and most of the convicts belong to the age group between 30 and 45 years.
Accident rate compared to last year
- While 1,137 accidents were witnessed last year, 1,107 have already been witnessed in the first half of 2018.
- A total number of 347 deaths took place last year and 303 this year until June.
- 1299 have been injured due to accidents in 2017 and 2018 first half witnessed 1,134.
- In 2017 June month, 172 road accidents took place while 198 have been witnessed in June 2018.
- 49 deaths have been registered in the previous June while the number rose to 59 this June.
- A total number of 3,946 licenses have been cancelled temporarily in one and a half year.
Traffic ACP Kinjarapu Prabhakar has been quoted saying, “The term for the convicts has been enhanced. Earlier, it was only for a day or two. But now, it has increased from three to 15 days, depending upon if the driver is a repeat offender. We are also maintaining a database, and repeat offenders are being taken to task.”