The 2018 Commonwealth Games (CWG) at Gold Coast, Australia came to an end with a spectacular closing ceremony on Sunday 15th April 2018. India had a dream run at the games and secured a place in top 3 ranks of the points table.
India finished the event by securing 66 medals in total which is its third highest medal tally behind 101 at Delhi in 2010 and 69 at London 2002.The 66 medals comprised of 26 Gold, 20 Silver and 20 Bronze which made India stand next to Australia (198) and England (136) respectively.
Below are some of the significant milestones India has achieved in the recently concluded Commonwealth Games.
- Manika Batra is the first Indian woman to bag a gold medal in women’s badminton singles.
- Neeraj Chopra is the first Indian Javelin thrower to bag a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games.
- M.C. Mary Kom’s debut in her first CWG proved to be a memorable one as she secured gold in 45-48 kg category boxing event.
- 15-yr old Anish Bhanwala won a gold medal in men’s 25m rapid fire pistol.
- The Indian mixed badminton team secured its first gold medal in the history of the games.
- Women’s table tennis team won its first ever gold medal in the games history.
- All the 12 wrestlers from India bagged a medal in their respective wrestling divisions.
- India’s ace badminton player Srikanth Kidambi secured the top rank in the latest BWF rankings and is the first male badminton player from India to do so.
We salute to every athlete who has won a medal for the nation in their respective games and thereby making our nation proud.