Road accidents in Vizag are increasing at an alarming rate year after year. Reports suggest that accidents are occurring mainly due to not following proper traffic rules.
Driving without license
Though the Vizag City Transport Department tops in Andhra Pradesh for implementing strict rules, 40 people out of 100 in the city limits and 60 out of 100 in the village limits are driving vehicles without a license. While 1,992 driving licenses have been suspended in the previous year, the number has already reached 2,024 by the end of June 2018. Strict rules involving cancellation of license for 3 months if caught in drunk driving and 6 months if caught being a reason for major accidents are also being implemented. And still, the public is negligent about following proper traffic rules.
Accident rate compared to last year
- While 1,137 accidents were witnessed last year, 1107 have already been witnessed in the first half of 2018.
- A total number of 347 deaths took place last year and 303 this year until June.
- 1299 have been injured due to accidents in 2017 and 2018 first half witnessed 1134.
- In 2017 June month, 172 road accidents took place while 198 have been witnessed in June 2018.
- 49 deaths have been registered in the previous June while the number rose to 59 this June.
- A total number of 3,946 licenses have been cancelled temporarily in one and a half year.
Traffic department to strengthen the punishments
To reduce the accident incidents, the department has taken the decision to charge imprisonment for the ones who do not follow traffic rules. The ones whose licenses have been terminated temporarily, if caught driving, would be facing imprisonment and life termination of the license.
Discussion about this post