Benefits of a good diet, to stay lean and healthy. For that extra zip in your step. Read on!
- Fruits, vegetables, legumes and beans, which are low in fat and high in protein and fibre; are essential for good health. Use of excess oil, ghee or butter will transform nutritious food into potential risk-bearers. Eat healthy!
- Grains are to be consumed which are low in fat and high in nutrients like vitamins. More than processed food like breads, opt for chapatis stuffed with vegetables. They are filling and nutritious. Keep away from biscuits, croissants, and other high-fat food.
- Other foods to go in for are fruits, soups and salads over others. Jellies, jams, preserves, cream cheese, or cottage cheese, butter and margarine may sound tasty, but are high in fat and bad carbohydrates.
- Meats like beef, pork, lamb-meats are high in fat. Don’t build your meals around them. Choose recipes that use small amounts of meat to flavour dishes, or base the dishes on vegetables, beans or grains. Rinse meat with hot water. This will help get rid of some fat.
- Fish and seafood mostly low in fat are cod, flounder, lobster, scallops, shrimp, snapper and sole. Fish that are fairly high in fat like herring, mackerel, and salmon are good for health as they have Omega-3 fatty acids, that are essential for the body. But see that you bake, broil, poach, or grill it. Don’t fry in butter, ghee or margarine or cover it with butter or cream-based sauces. Use small portion and combine them with vegetables, beans, and grains.
- Butter, margarine and oils should strictly be avoided. Butter is most harmful because it is high in saturated fats, which raises cholesterol, and contributes to heart disease. Margarine contains trans fats, which also increase the risk of heart disease, along with breast or colon cancer.
· Eating habits matter. Concentrate on your food while eating. Don’t read, work or watch TV. Avoid eating when you are depressed or after a heated argument – you tend to binge eat!