The Traffic Department of Vizag is focusing on innovative ideas to spread the message of following traffic rules among the people in the city. On the occasion of Ganesh Chaturthi, the officials have taken the help of Lord Ganesh to spread the message about the importance of wearing a helmet.
In a video posted on the Telugu Desam Party page on Facebook, the police officials along with a man under the disguise of Lord Ganesh can be seen informing the people about precautions at the Hanumanthawaka signal point in Vizag. After a helmet being handed over by a police official, Lord Ganesh spoke about how important it is to follow traffic rules.
Amazing initiative by AP Police in Vizag…Wear a helmet and give life a chance!
Posted by Telugu Desam Party (TDP) on Monday, 17 September 2018
The use of helmets has already been made compulsory for two-wheeler riders. However, it has been learned that in many road accidents while the riders were saved due to the headgear, the pillion riders inevitably succumbed to the head injuries sustained, which, in a better scenario, could have been avoided had the deceased donned helmets.
Accident rate compared to last year
- While 1,137 accidents were witnessed last year, 1107 have already been witnessed in the first half of 2018.
- A total number of 347 deaths took place last year and 303 this year until June.
- 1299 have been injured due to accidents in 2017 and 2018 first half witnessed 1134.
- In 2017 June month, 172 road accidents took place while 198 have been witnessed in June 2018.
- 49 deaths have been registered in the previous June while the number rose to 59 this June.
- A total number of 3,946 licenses have been cancelled temporarily in one and a half year.