It’s been more than two decades and the Uddanam kidney disease remains a mystery.The cause of ‘Uddanam Nephropathy’ as it is called is still unknown. Actor and Jana Sena party chief Pawan Kalyan is himself a champion and fighter for the cause. He was the one to receive the team of scientists from Harvard who have come to Srikakulam. This is a return visit and their research continues for a solution. they shall collect sample, conduct tests and submit their findings.
Uddanam Nephropathy – What is this mystery killer?
Uddanam, a small village tucked into the greens of Srikakulam, is the site for a killing rampage. Uddanam Nephropathy is a chronic kidney disease endemic to the place and affecting Sompeta, Kaviti, Mandasa, Icchapuram etc in Srikakulam district. The symptoms of the disease are:
- High blood pressure
- Urea deposits in Kidney
- Potassium accumulation in blood.
- Red blood cells depleted, causing anemia.
- Gross imbalance in body fluids.
Shocking statistics –
- As of 2016, 3200 have lost their lives to the mystery disease.
- One in each family in Srikakulam is prey to the disease, as per numbers.
- Higher chances of disease attacking the age group of 30-40 years.
- More males prone to the disease than females.
- The most affected are cashew nut, rice and coconut farmers in the region.
The road so far –
Recently the Harvard team has come again to continue research and submit findings on the disease.
Andhra Medical College hosted the Uddanam Kidney Diseases Research Team along with Health ministry and medical experts.
A total of 1,00,000 people have been tested and almost 26% have been detedted with the disease. Out of this 80% are suffering from moderate symptoms that can be cured through medical aid.
Discussion about this post