Visakhapatnam has witnessed a steep increase in road accidents attributed to drunk driving. Traffic Police have taken stern steps to curb the case. The route that is being taken is prevention. To this end the police have booked 13, 278 cases so far in 2017. Out of this 293 people have been jailed so far. A steep number for Vizag.
Traffic police have placed barricades at different points in the city. People are being stopped and tested for drunk driving. Breath analyzers are being used and teams of police are convicting those testing positive. Everyday 60 to 80 cases are booked by enforcement teams. The accused are from all age and economic groups. Youngsters, auto rickshaw drivers, employees and devotees are all under scan.
- Cases are being referred to court. Legal action acts as deterrent.
- Vehicles are being seized and licenses withheld.
- Imposition of jail term for 2 to 3 days.
The fear of police action has worked well recently. Setting an example of convicting drunk drivers has created awareness as well as instilled fear. After this the police are conducting an awareness and sensitization in those convicted.
- City police are taking assistance from highway patrolling vehicles of NHAI.
- Two or three constables headed by a CI/SI will be on duty.
- 11 road safety vehicles are deployed.
- Use of alcometers for conducting checks.
- Lack of women constables are letting women go scot-free.
The good work put in by the traffic police towards curbing cases of drunk driving is welcomed by the city. Lives lost to reckless driving is a sad fact.