After a few days of pleasant weather, hot and humid weather conditions have surfaced back in Vizag, thereby, adding to the discomfort of the city and other areas in Andhra Pradesh. The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) issued a heat wave warning that will tentatively continue till Wednesday morning.
Along with Vizag, the heat wave is likely to prevail in parts of Krishna, Guntur, Prakasam and Nellore districts of the State. Vaddadi, Nathavaram, Cheedikada, Kotapadu, and Chodavaram, in Visakhapatnam district, on Sunday, had recorded highs of over 40 degrees Celsius. Notably, despite having sub 40 degrees Celsius temperatures in the city, the high humidity levels make the weather very uncomfortable.
Here are a few pointers on staying safe during a heat wave:
- Avoid going out in the sun between 10 AM and 4 PM, especially during noon when the sun is at its peak.
- Stay hydrated with lots of water. Coconut water, fresh lime juice, and sugarcane juice are highly recommended as summer drinks.
- Use a cap, or an umbrella, and wear sunglasses when you have to go out in the day to reduce the sun’s effect.
- While working outside in the sun, apply a damp cloth over your head, neck, and limbs to keep cool.
- In case you feel a little weak, or faint, ORS and glucose water are recommended nutrient refreshers
- Visit a doctor immediately if symptoms like dizziness or nausea persist.
- Avoid hot beverages, like tea and coffee, as they increase the body temperature further. One can opt for the homemade lassi or buttermilk.
As we know prevention is better than cure, request you to stay cool and safe during the heat wave in Vizag and elsewhere.