PV Sindhu, an Indian Badminton player entered the semi-finals after defeating World’s No. 2 player Wang Yihan of China at the Rio Olympics, 2016. After the win, she became the second Indian women’s player to enter the semi-finals after Saina Nehwal at the 2012 London Olympics. She won a tiring and thrilling match mostly with defence with a score of 22-20, 21-19. She is now a win away from assuring India a medal at the Rio Olympics.
Interesting facts about PV Sindhu:
- Born on 5th July, 1995, she learned the basics of the sport under the guidance of Mehboob Ali at the Badminton Courts of Indian Railway Institute of Signal Engineering and Telecommunications in Secunderabad.
- She used to travel a distance of 56 kilometers to receive her coaching.
- Her parents were both former Volleyball players. Her father has also won an Arjuna Award.
- In the year 2015, she won the 4th highest civilian award Padma Shri.
- She won a Bronze Medal at the 2009 Sub-Junior Asian Badminton Championship held at Colombo.