At least 3 dead, several hospitalised after consuming toxic liquid in Vizag

toxic liquid, vizag
Image for representation

Tragedy struck Gajuwaka in Vizag on Sunday as at least three persons, including a woman, died and several others were hospitalised after consuming a toxic liquid. Reportedly, the victims found a black plastic bag with a liquid in the area after rag picking at a dump yard at Gajuwaka. They mistook the toxic liquid for liquor and consumed it before being rushed to the hospital with the help of locals.

Among those who have been undergoing treatment at the hospital, it has been reported that the condition of a few victims is critical and causing concern. The police have registered a case under Section 174 of CrPC (natural death) and an investigation is on to gain further insights.

The current speculations say that the toxic liquid might be an industrial spirit chemical. While the Prohibition and Excise department sent samples of the liquid to a lab for testing, the bodies of the deceased have been sent to post-mortem to know more about the toxic liquid that the victims had consumed.

The incident, which took place at the 52nd Ward of Gajuwaka in Visakhapatnam, has left the families of the deceased in a devastated state. Vizag collector Katamneni Bhaskar and Excise Department DC Srinivasa Rao consoled the families at King George Hospital (KGH) on Sunday evening. The authorities assured them of complete support and also said that the state would bear the medical expenses.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Loading…

0

Comments

comments